School Garden/Horticultural Grants Program
The Jackson County Master Gardener™ Association (JCMGA) awards school grants throughout Jackson County to deserving schools where an individual or group within a school wants to offer gardening education and horticultural learning opportunities for students. School projects can be part of a school beautification plan, a classroom teacher helping students start a flower garden for Mother’s Day, a class growing salad or pizza toppings, or any variation involving the growing of plants.
Key Aspects of the School Garden Grants Program
Applications are available beginning in June for projects planned for the following school year. The deadline for returned/completed applications is mid-October of the same year. Acceptance notifications with accompanying funding are typically distributed by mid-November. Applications request a brief description, accompanied by an estimated cost breakdown of the proposed project.
JCMGA funding is earmarked for activities directly involving students and their hands-on interaction with soil, seeds, plants, small gardening tools, and activities that connect students directly with the process of growing plants. JCMGA funding is not intended for major construction projects (e.g., the building of greenhouses), or for purchasing large equipment (e.g., rototillers).
- Project meets the direct “hands-on” intent of JCMGA funding
- First time request, or continuation of a larger or expanded project
- Number of students benefitting from the project
- Likelihood of success; ability to complete project within funding requested
- Qualifications and commitment of school garden project key individual
- For larger projects, the availability and/or use of other resources (e.g., parent-teacher organizations, businesses, older students)
A Master Gardener will be assigned as a school contact for questions arising during the application review process and for project follow-up. Project completion pictures are encouraged to be submitted by the school or taken by the Master Gardener contact.
School Grant applications are available electronically to download here:Download Grant Application