- Jackson County Master Gardeners Announcements — March 2023 - February 28, 2023
- Annual Jackson County Master Gardener™ Association Photo Contest Winners - February 28, 2023
- March in the Garden - February 28, 2023
Recording your recertification hours is a very important part of being a Master Gardener. Our organization is based on gardening education and volunteers’ hours. In addition to providing documentation for your recertification, these hours are needed to provide funding for Oregon Master Gardeners.
This task may seem daunting at the beginning, but the more you do it the easier it becomes.
Currently we are required to have
- 20 hours of approved volunteer service. Half of these hours must be in the category of direct or indirect education efforts – which are detailed on the OSU website https://vrs.osumg.org/sec_Login/
- 10 hours of approved continuing education.
- These 30 hours (minimum) are to be earned from November 1st to October 31st.
The steps are easy to follow as long as you take your time –
- Login into the JCMGA website https://jacksoncountymga.org/
- Login into the JCMGA Member Portal
- On the right-hand side you will find a side bar with Member Links – click on Report Your Hours
This takes you to the OSU Master Gardener Volunteer Reporting System (VRS)
- In the left-hand side of this page you will find lots of good information. Take time to check out the following –
- Report Hours button – where you choose if you want to record Volunteer Service Hours or Continuing Education Hours.
- Documentation Button – there is information here explaining.
- what is required for re-certification
- what the new categories are what can be included in each category
- How To Videos – shows you step by step what to do
- If this is your first time reporting your recertification hours, you will need to click on the link Enrollment in VRS and follow the directions.
- If you have recorded your recertification hours before, you should put in your email address and password. Since this is a new website and to strengthen security, OSU has changed their requirements for a password. You may have to update your password.
People keep track of their hours in a variety of ways before they input them into the OSU Volunteer Reporting System.
- Many people use a calendar or log to keep track of them.
- Some people officially report their hours weekly, monthly, etc.
- You can enter your hours for each individual event, or you can “bundle” them. By bundle, we mean you can take the number of volunteer hours – as long as they are the same coding – for a month or longer. You would need to explain it in the description box.
If at any time you have questions about this process, please feel free to contact Grace Florjancic, Barbara Low, Sandy Hansen or Jane Moyer.
Have a wonderful year gardening!