- Winter Dreams Summer Gardens 2022 — Saving the Best for Last - September 29, 2022
- JCMGA Picnic Food a Great Success - August 28, 2022
- Highlighting JCMGA Experts Presenting at Winter Dreams/Summer Gardens - August 27, 2022
One of the favorite dishes was Susan Koenig’s Carrot Cake. Many people asked her for the recipe. Enjoy!
2 C flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
4 large eggs
2 C. sugar
1-1/2 C vegetable oil
2 C peeled and finely grated carrots
8 oz. crushed pineapple
3/4 C. pecans, coarsely chopped
12 oz softened cream cheese
1-1/2 sticks softened butter
1 Tbps. vanilla
1 C. pecans, coarsely chopped
6 C. confectioner’s sugar
3 9-inch round cake pans, 2″ deep
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Sift together all dry ingredients
- With electric mixer, beat eggs until light
- Add sugar slowly to eggs while mixing
- Mix in oil in slow stream until combined
- Mix in pineapple with juice, carrots and pecans on low.
- Mix in 1/3 of dry ingredients at a time to wet ingredients.
- Grease and flour pans.
- Pour 1/3 of batter into each pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, switching the position of the pans between top and bottom to cook evenly.
- Insert knife into center to test for doneness. If knife comes out clean, cake is done.
- Remove pans from oven and cool on wire rack.
- In the mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla on medium until very soft — about 5 minutes
- Add powdered sugar slowly while mixing on medium low to incorporate, then beat for 5 minutes at medium high until smooth — about 5 minutes.
- Cool in refrigerator to stiffen a little before icing the cake.
- Remove cakes from pans and cool thoroughly.
- Spread 1/4 of icing on first layer.
- Add another layer on top and spread 1/4 of icing on that.
- Add the top layer and add the remaining icing to the top.
- Spread icing down sides and across top with a wide spatula .
- Sprinkle top and sides with coarsely chopped pecans.