- Jackson County Master Gardeners Announcements — September 2023 - August 31, 2023
- Plant a Row Opportunity Update - August 31, 2023
- The JCMGA Board Needs YOU! - August 31, 2023
Community Outreach Working Group
- Have been working with the Member Services WG to create a “Friends of the Garden” proposal.
- There have been more Master Gardeners who are interested in being a part of the Speakers Bureau.
- We are continuing to investigate how to better support the Spanish speaking community in our valley.
- We are looking at how to rejuvenate the Community Gardens and also provide them with support.
- JCMGA has been invited to participate in the 2024 Josephine County Home Show at the Grants Pass fairgrounds (Feb. 16, 17, and 18) and the Southern Oregon Home Show at Expo in Central Point (May 3, 4, and 5). The COWG thought these both may be feasible, especially if JCMGA partnered with the Josephine County MGA. Although the May dates overlap the Spring Garden Fair, which will be held on the SOREC campus again, master gardeners who are less physically active may want to staff an information table at the home show instead of assisting at the SGF.
FUNDRAISING WORKING GROUP
chair is Sandy Hammond
The Fundraising Working Group meets on the 3rd Friday of each month at 1:00 in the conference room at the SOREC Extension. We sure do welcome newcomers to attend with brainstorming ideas. Our next event will be the Fall Festival on Oct.14th at the extension. We are planning a native plant sale, Christmas items including wreaths and other decorations. We will also be selling beautiful garden art made by the Fundraising folks. We hope to have food and other plant vendors join us. We love new ideas and fun participation.
Garden Enhancement Working Group
Chair, Janine Salvatti
The “ART-IN, the Gardens – A plein air event for artists of all skill levels” was cancelled because of the air quality. We hope to reschedule it later.
We have been busy planning the Glass Art Class for September 15th from 9-12 p.m. The location has been changed to the greenhouse.
Marketing and Technology Working Group
chair is Marcia Harris
Working Group members gave updates on what they have done this past month in regard to technology and JCMGA.
Keltie Nelson will be stepping down to send out MailChimps – starting January 2024. Nicole Smith will take over at that time.
At this point, there will not be a September meeting for this working group.
Member Services Working Group
chair is Barbara Low
The Annual JCMGA Picnic was a success. We had 65 people respond that they would attend the picnic, but only 50 attended. This may in part be due to the adverse weather and air quality. We had several awards/recognitions to hand out (State, County, and Special JCMGA).
The Community Outreach Working Group and Member Services Working Group have worked together to create and fine tune the “Friends of the Garden” proposal. We will be presenting this proposal at the September Board meeting.
Winter Dreams Summer Gardens Working Group
chairs are Colet Allen, Susan Koenig, and Barbara Low
We have been busy organizing the Winter Dreams Summer Gardens 2023 Symposium. This virtual event will be October 27, 28, November 3, and 4. We have updated the registration form